Agricultural Exemption

Farm buildings are exempt from Zoning regulations such as setbacks, height, and any zoning fees. But farm buildings are not exempt from flood plain regulations, well and septic permits, airport height regulations, and Subdivision and Platting regulations, which include entrance permit requirements.

Agricultural Uses Form

To determine if your project is Ag Exempt, fill out the Agricultural Uses Form (PDF) and return it to the Zoning Office before beginning any construction or platting of property. The form needs to be filled out by the owner(s) of the property and for a plat of survey by the buyers of the property. The application can be decided within 1 to 2 days. There is no charge for this application form.

Excerpts from the Zoning Ordinance

Section 1-6

The provisions of this ordinance shall not be construed to apply to land, farmhouses, farm barns, farm outbuildings or other buildings, structures or erections which are primarily adapted, by reason of nature and area, for use for agricultural purposes while so used; provided, however, that such regulations or ordinances which relate to any structure, building, dam, obstruction or excavation in or on the flood plains of any river or stream shall apply thereto and provided further that all farm buildings and structures are subject to the air navigation obstruction provisions set out in Section 1-31 of this Ordinance.

Section 1-2.3

Agriculture: The use of land for agricultural purposes, including farming, dairying, pasturage, apiculture, horticulture, floriculture, viticulture, and animal poultry husbandry, and the necessary accessory uses for packing, treating or storing the product; provided, however, that the operation of such shall be secondary to that of normal agriculture activities and provided further that the above uses shall not include the feeding of collected garbage or offal.

Section January 2, 2035

 Farm: An area used for growing of the usual farm products such as vegetables, fruits, and grains, and their storage on the area, as well as the raising and feeding thereon of the usual farm poultry and farm animals, such as horses, cattle, sheep, and swine. The term “farming” includes the operating of such an area for one or more of the above uses, including dairy farms with the necessary accessory uses for treating or storing the product; provided, however, that the operation of such accessory uses shall be secondary to that of the normal farming activities, and provided further, that farming does not include cow pools, commercial breeding or feeding businesses nor the feeding of collected garbage or offal to swine or other animals.

Farm Exemption Forms