- City/School Election
Regular City & School Elections
Elections will be held countywide for school board members, city councils (if any) and Northeast Iowa Community College Board of Trustees (if any). On election day, November 7, 2023 voters will need to vote at their assigned polling place which will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sample ballots will be online once ballots are approved.
Where to File - City Offices
All papers MUST be filed with the City Clerk. City Clerk information can be found at: City Clerk Information
Where to File - School Offices
All papers MUST be filed with the School Secretary. School Secretary Information
|Position||Signature Requirements||Signatures Needed|
|City Council||Population between 2,500 and 7,499||25|
|City Council||Population 2,499 or less ||10|
|Council At Large||Dubuque||172|
Important dates and deadlines
- August 29: First day to request mailed absentee ballots, 70 days before election. Please note that absentee ballots for the regular election cannot be mailed until Wednesday, October 18, 2023.
- August 14 – August 31: City of Dubuque candidate filing period. File with Dubuque City Clerk’s office. Papers must be filed in the Dubuque City Clerk’s office by 5:00 p.m. on the 31st.
- August 28 – September 21: All other Cities candidate filing period. File with respective City Clerk’s office. School Board candidate filing period. File with School Board Secretary. All papers must be filed with respective filing officer by 5:00 p.m. on the 21st.
- Monday, September 4: Labor Day—County Offices closed.
- Tuesday, September 5: City of Dubuque candidate withdrawal and objection deadline. City of Dubuque Clerk’s office open until 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 26: Regular City/School candidate withdrawal and objection deadline. City Clerks and School Secretary’s office open until 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 18: First day absentee ballots can be available for regular City/School Election. In-Person voting starts at the Dubuque County Courthouse, 720 Central Ave, 8:00 a.m.—4:30 p.m. First day to mail out absentee ballots.
- Monday, October 23: Voter pre-registration deadline, 5:00 p.m. Voters may still register after this date using election day registration procedure (ID and proof of address required). Correctly completed Voter Registration forms post marked by 10/23/2023 are considered timely even after received after this date.
- Monday, October 23: Deadline to request mailed absentee ballot. Requests must be in our office by 5:00 p.m. (post marks don’t count)
- Friday, November 3: Last day to submit written challenges to absentee voters for regular City/School Election. The Auditor’s office will be open to 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 6: Last day to vote in-person at the Auditor’s Office. 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- Tuesday, November 7: Election Day. Polls open 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. Vote at General polling places. (You cannot vote at the Courthouse.) Change in state law: All absentee ballots must be received by 8:00 pm to be considered on time to be counted.
- Friday, November 10: Offices closed for observance of Veteran’s Day.
- Tuesday, November 14: Canvass by Board of Supervisors.
- Friday, November 17: Recount request deadline for Regular City/School Elections. Requests must be filed in writing by 5:00 p.m. with the Auditor.
- Friday, November 17: Contest notice deadline. A statement of intent to contest the election must be filed in the city clerk’s office no later than 10 days after the election.
- Monday, November 20: Control county canvass for NICC Community College and City and School districts split between counties.
- Monday, November 27: Write-In winner resignation deadline for cities. If a person is elected by write-in votes, they can submit their resignation in writing to the respective City Clerk by 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 30: Write-In resignation deadline for cities split between counties. If a person is elected by write-in votes, they can submit their resignation in writing to the respective City Clerk by 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 11: School contest notice deadline.