Lead in Homes

Childhood Lead Poisoning

Childhood lead poisoning is a disease that occurs when children have too much lead in their bodies. Children become lead-poisoned if they:

  • Put lead-based paint chips in their mouths
  • Put dusty or dirty hands, toys, bottles, or pacifiers in their mouths
  • Chew on surfaces painted with lead-based paint
  • Play in dirt or a sandbox where lead-based paint chips have been
  • Breathe in dust from lead-based paint that is being sanded, scraped, or removed

The Dubuque County Health Department partners with the City of Dubuque and the Dubuque Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) to increase lead testing opportunities for children in our county through the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.

 The only way to determine if your child is lead-poisoned is to have their blood tested. It is important to get their blood lead level tested at least once a year until they are six years old. Children may become lead-poisoned after 12 months of age as they become more active. For blood testing, call your child’s physician or the VNA.  Children participating in the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program between the ages of 1 - 5 can be tested at their physician’s office or the VNA office.  Contact the VNA at (563) 556-6200 or visit their website for more information.

Learn More